Patrick Mahomes faces his biggest test yet: Is Chiefs star’s fear factor fading?

SPORTIVO
Article arrow_drop_down

Patrick Mahomes remains the consensus best quarterback in football, even entering this season on the back of two Super Bowl titles in three years with the Kansas City Chiefs.

However, whispers from some scouts hint that his perceived “fear factor” might be slipping – a reality check that could alter how rival teams prepare for him if a third consecutive “down” season unfolds in 2025.

Patrick Mahomes shows the world how he stays chill under pressure in a flamboyant way

An anonymous AFC scout reportedly told ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler that Mahomes “probably doesn’t have that same fear factor” he once commanded. Yet the scout also expects a bounce-back, envisioning stronger performance with healthier wideouts and a fortified offensive line.

Still, Mahomes’ late-game dominance remains undeniable. When the pressure is highest in the fourth quarter, his ability to mount game-winning drives is legendary – he notched seven in 2024. That consistency, especially in shootouts, cements the intimidation factor many fans and analysts still assign to him.

Chiefs dynasty on the line

Patrick’s recent seasons have shown extraordinary resilience, but a few rough patches have invited comparisons to fellow quarterbacks in their prime.

ESPN rankings by league coaches, GMs, and scouts dropped him behind emerging stars like Joe Burrow, Josh Allen, and Justin Herbert -primarily due to concerns about his supporting cast.

One NFL coordinator commented Mahomes’ offensive line decline and receiver renovation impacted his game. But even amid those challenges, multiple evaluators defended his mental toughness: “He’s a one-man army,” said one. “Complete dawg. No NFL coach wants to deal with him.”

The core of the critique lies in perception more than production. Since 2018, Mahomes has led the league in virtually every passing metric – yards, touchdowns, efficiency. Last year, he led the NFL with a jaw-dropping 90.4 third-down QBR and converted 53.1 percent of third-down attempts into first downs.

Still, the broader question lingers: can Mahomes sustain this level if the Chiefs’ talent pool continues to regress?

Pertinent questions about Chiefs roster

Head Coach Andy Reid and GM Brett Veach have responded through roster upgrades and lofty offseason ambitions. The revamped offensive line is poised to return to dominance, aided by draft investments and veteran reinforcements.

And on the receiving end, the health and form of stars like Rashee Rice, Kadarius Toney, and a returning Marquez Valdes-Scantling will be critical.

In a league that thrives on quick turnarounds, another dominant season by Mahomes could quiet critics. But another stumble might invite doubts the football world has yet to see.

As Chiefs training camp unfolds, watch the sparks in Mahomes’ pocket presence and target chemistry. If the 2025 season reveals a rejuvenated MVP – or worse, confirms the scout’s fear factor thesis – the NFL’s quarterback hierarchy may be shifting.

And while the dynasty chatter remains loud, this year could be Mahomes’ clearest test yet of staying on top.

This news was originally published on this post .

About the author

About the author call_made

SPORTIVO

More posts

trending_flat
‘I’m made for this’ – Townsend on fallout from Ostapenkpo exchange at US Open

Taylor Townsend secured one of the biggest wins of her career when stunning fifth seed Mirra Andreeva in straight sets at the US Open on Friday night - though attention remains focused on her heated exchange with Jelena Ostapenko after her previous match.The 29-year-old American made headlines after Ostapenko confronted her on court following their second-round clash, accusing Townsend of having "no education" and "no class". Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player Jelena Ostapenko and Taylor Townsend had a heated exchange following their post-match handshake in the second round of the US Open. Fellow players leapt to her defence, including four-time Grand Slam champion Naomi Osaka, who labelled Ostapenko's comments as "one of the worst things you can say to a black tennis player in a majority white sport".Ostapenko took to social media to strongly deny […]

trending_flat
‘I’m made for this’ – Townsend on fallout from Ostapenkpo exchange at US Open

Taylor Townsend secured one of the biggest wins of her career when stunning fifth seed Mirra Andreeva in straight sets at the US Open on Friday night - though attention remains focused on her heated exchange with Jelena Ostapenko after her previous match.The 29-year-old American made headlines after Ostapenko confronted her on court following their second-round clash, accusing Townsend of having "no education" and "no class". Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player Jelena Ostapenko and Taylor Townsend had a heated exchange following their post-match handshake in the second round of the US Open. Fellow players leapt to her defence, including four-time Grand Slam champion Naomi Osaka, who labelled Ostapenko's comments as "one of the worst things you can say to a black tennis player in a majority white sport".Ostapenko took to social media to strongly deny […]

trending_flat
Jackson Arnold’s Auburn Debut Steals Spotlight while Coach Prime, Colorado Stumble

<!--> [--> RJ Young FOX Sports National College Football Analyst <!--> --> Hugh Freeze is known for dialing up fireworks through the air. But in Auburn's season-opener on Friday night, it was a punishing ground attack that stole the show.The Tigers steamrolled Baylor 38–24 behind 307 rushing yards and a breakout performance from former Oklahoma quarterback Jackson Arnold, who ran for 137 yards and two scores in his Auburn debut. The Tigers exploded for 24 points in the second and third quarters, taking control and never letting go.For Auburn, it was a statement win. For the Big 12 — which also saw Colorado fall to Georgia Tech — it was a rough start to a season where the league hoped to make an early playoff push.Here are some top takeaways from Friday night's action.Auburn’s rushing attack shines bright in season-opening […]

trending_flat
Joshua targets early 2026 return before ‘roll of the dice’ Fury mega-fight

Anthony Joshua is on track to return in a comeback fight in early 2026 before a "roll of the dice" blockbuster next summer.After Joshua's loss to Daniel Dubois last September, a lingering elbow injury would not heal and eventually required an operation. That has kept the 35-year-old out of action but he has now resumed training. His next fight back will most likely be in January or the start of February. He would not return to an immediate contest with a top-level heavyweight but will target a tune-up bout against world top-15 calibre opponent before pursuing the biggest names in the division.The ultimate target, though, remains Tyson Fury, a great all-British showdown that has so far eluded Joshua. Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player We take a look at some of the most incredible moments ever […]

trending_flat
Today on Sky Sports Racing: Chester, Lingfield and Newton Abbot feature

We have a busy day's racing on Saturday with domestic action from Chester, Lingfield and Newton Abbot, before a busy evening of Stateside action, live on Sky Sports Racing...2.40 Chester - Tabletalk faces Alsakib and PrydwenThe Listed Virgin Bet Chester Stakes headlines our action on the Roodee on Saturday and sees Tabletalk face Alsakib and co. Tom Clover's stable star Tabletalk arrives here off the back of a six-week break after finishing third in the John Smith's Silver Cup Stakes where he was no match for Al Qareem. He hasn't got his nose in front for a year now but he drops to Listed class for the first time since October last year and that could help him get back to winning ways.Alsakib comes here on a revival mission after disappointing at York in June where it was reported that […]

Mladá hvězda dala přednost Česku před Nizozemskem. Jednadvacítka má posilu do útoku

„V Dordrechtu pravidelně nastupuje, dává góly. Produktivní byl i v přípravě. Je vysoký, rychlý, s dobrým zakončením. Mohl by být pro nás vhodnou alternativou do útoku,“ řekl Bílek na páteční nominační tiskové konferenci.Eduardo vyrůstal v Nizozemsku, které reprezentoval v nižších mládežnických kategoriích. Například ještě loni v březnu nastoupil za Oranjes proti české osmnáctce. Na podzim 2024 už ale odehrál 3 přípravy za tuzemskou devatenáctku. Teď dostal pozvánku do jednadvacítky, která pod novým trenérem Bílkem vstoupí do kvalifikace o ME U21 v roce 2027.„Byla dohoda, že po první zkušenosti v devatenáctce se trochu odmlčí a rozhodne se, jaký stát bude reprezentovat. S Pavlem Nedvědem (generální manažer českých reprezentací) jsme se pustili do komunikace s ním i hráčovým manažerem. Jsem rád, že se Yannick rozhodl pro nás. Je to typologicky jiný útočník, než které máme,“ podotkl Bílek s tím, že Eduardo mluví obstojně česky.V 16 letech se Eduardo připojil k mládežnické akademii RB Lipsko, s bundesligovým klubem podepsal kontrakt do roku […]

Related

trending_flat
‘I’m made for this’ – Townsend on fallout from Ostapenkpo exchange at US Open

Taylor Townsend secured one of the biggest wins of her career when stunning fifth seed Mirra Andreeva in straight sets at the US Open on Friday night - though attention remains focused on her heated exchange with Jelena Ostapenko after her previous match.The 29-year-old American made headlines after Ostapenko confronted her on court following their second-round clash, accusing Townsend of having "no education" and "no class". Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player Jelena Ostapenko and Taylor Townsend had a heated exchange following their post-match handshake in the second round of the US Open. Fellow players leapt to her defence, including four-time Grand Slam champion Naomi Osaka, who labelled Ostapenko's comments as "one of the worst things you can say to a black tennis player in a majority white sport".Ostapenko took to social media to strongly deny […]

trending_flat
‘I’m made for this’ – Townsend on fallout from Ostapenkpo exchange at US Open

Taylor Townsend secured one of the biggest wins of her career when stunning fifth seed Mirra Andreeva in straight sets at the US Open on Friday night - though attention remains focused on her heated exchange with Jelena Ostapenko after her previous match.The 29-year-old American made headlines after Ostapenko confronted her on court following their second-round clash, accusing Townsend of having "no education" and "no class". Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player Jelena Ostapenko and Taylor Townsend had a heated exchange following their post-match handshake in the second round of the US Open. Fellow players leapt to her defence, including four-time Grand Slam champion Naomi Osaka, who labelled Ostapenko's comments as "one of the worst things you can say to a black tennis player in a majority white sport".Ostapenko took to social media to strongly deny […]

trending_flat
Jackson Arnold’s Auburn Debut Steals Spotlight while Coach Prime, Colorado Stumble

<!--> [--> RJ Young FOX Sports National College Football Analyst <!--> --> Hugh Freeze is known for dialing up fireworks through the air. But in Auburn's season-opener on Friday night, it was a punishing ground attack that stole the show.The Tigers steamrolled Baylor 38–24 behind 307 rushing yards and a breakout performance from former Oklahoma quarterback Jackson Arnold, who ran for 137 yards and two scores in his Auburn debut. The Tigers exploded for 24 points in the second and third quarters, taking control and never letting go.For Auburn, it was a statement win. For the Big 12 — which also saw Colorado fall to Georgia Tech — it was a rough start to a season where the league hoped to make an early playoff push.Here are some top takeaways from Friday night's action.Auburn’s rushing attack shines bright in season-opening […]

trending_flat
Today on Sky Sports Racing: Chester, Lingfield and Newton Abbot feature

We have a busy day's racing on Saturday with domestic action from Chester, Lingfield and Newton Abbot, before a busy evening of Stateside action, live on Sky Sports Racing...2.40 Chester - Tabletalk faces Alsakib and PrydwenThe Listed Virgin Bet Chester Stakes headlines our action on the Roodee on Saturday and sees Tabletalk face Alsakib and co. Tom Clover's stable star Tabletalk arrives here off the back of a six-week break after finishing third in the John Smith's Silver Cup Stakes where he was no match for Al Qareem. He hasn't got his nose in front for a year now but he drops to Listed class for the first time since October last year and that could help him get back to winning ways.Alsakib comes here on a revival mission after disappointing at York in June where it was reported that […]

trending_flat
Joshua targets early 2026 return before ‘roll of the dice’ Fury mega-fight

Anthony Joshua is on track to return in a comeback fight in early 2026 before a "roll of the dice" blockbuster next summer.After Joshua's loss to Daniel Dubois last September, a lingering elbow injury would not heal and eventually required an operation. That has kept the 35-year-old out of action but he has now resumed training. His next fight back will most likely be in January or the start of February. He would not return to an immediate contest with a top-level heavyweight but will target a tune-up bout against world top-15 calibre opponent before pursuing the biggest names in the division.The ultimate target, though, remains Tyson Fury, a great all-British showdown that has so far eluded Joshua. Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player We take a look at some of the most incredible moments ever […]

Mladá hvězda dala přednost Česku před Nizozemskem. Jednadvacítka má posilu do útoku

„V Dordrechtu pravidelně nastupuje, dává góly. Produktivní byl i v přípravě. Je vysoký, rychlý, s dobrým zakončením. Mohl by být pro nás vhodnou alternativou do útoku,“ řekl Bílek na páteční nominační tiskové konferenci.Eduardo vyrůstal v Nizozemsku, které reprezentoval v nižších mládežnických kategoriích. Například ještě loni v březnu nastoupil za Oranjes proti české osmnáctce. Na podzim 2024 už ale odehrál 3 přípravy za tuzemskou devatenáctku. Teď dostal pozvánku do jednadvacítky, která pod novým trenérem Bílkem vstoupí do kvalifikace o ME U21 v roce 2027.„Byla dohoda, že po první zkušenosti v devatenáctce se trochu odmlčí a rozhodne se, jaký stát bude reprezentovat. S Pavlem Nedvědem (generální manažer českých reprezentací) jsme se pustili do komunikace s ním i hráčovým manažerem. Jsem rád, že se Yannick rozhodl pro nás. Je to typologicky jiný útočník, než které máme,“ podotkl Bílek s tím, že Eduardo mluví obstojně česky.V 16 letech se Eduardo připojil k mládežnické akademii RB Lipsko, s bundesligovým klubem podepsal kontrakt do roku […]

Be the first to leave a comment

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sportivo bridges the gap between talent and opportunity.

About SPORTIVO

Sportivo Network is a dedicated social platform for sports enthusiasts, athletes, and scouts. Whether you’re an aspiring athlete looking for opportunities, a coach searching for talent, or simply a sports lover wanting to connect with like-minded people, Sportivo is your go-to network. With features like direct messaging, profile showcasing, and talent scouting, Sportivo bridges the gap between talent and opportunity. Here, you can share your achievements, interact with professionals, and open doors to the next level in your sports journey. Join Sportivo Network – because every great athlete deserves to be discovered!
Copyright © 2025 SPORTIVO News. and SPORTIVO Network. All rights reserved.

Login to enjoy full advantages

Please login or subscribe to continue.

Go Premium!

Enjoy the full advantage of the premium access.

Stop following

Unfollow Cancel

Cancel subscription

Are you sure you want to cancel your subscription? You will lose your Premium access and stored playlists.

Go back Confirm cancellation