Blue Jays’ Shane Bieber makes franchise history in first MLB start in over a year

SPORTIVO
Article arrow_drop_down

Shane Bieber pitched in his first big-league game since April 2, 2024 on Friday night, taking on the Miami Marlins in what doubled as his debut with the Toronto Blue Jays. The veteran-right-hander rose to occasion — and then some — as he did the heavy lifting in a 5-2 Toronto win: 

According to the CBS Sports research desk, Bieber is the first pitcher in Blue Jays franchise history to strike out nine or more batters while permitting two hits or fewer and walking no one in his debut for the team. Bieber got through those six innings in 87 pitches (55 strikes), and he registered five ground-outs against two fly-outs. He showed improved fastball velocity relative to his norms over the past three seasons. Bieber called upon his full five-pitch repertoire in taming the Marlins, and he earned 14 swings and misses on the night — including his first strikeout on his knuckle-curve: 

Here’s more of Bieber’s comeback outing: 

For Bieber, the lone blemish came in the second inning on a Javier Sanoja solo home run. In the fourth, Bieber struck out the side, and he didn’t permit his second hit of the night until the sixth inning. 

Bieber had been sidelined for the past year-plus after undergoing Tommy John surgery. He made seven rehab starts at the minor-league level prior to joining Toronto’s rotation, tallying a 1.86 ERA and a 12.33 strikeout-to-walk ratio over 29 innings pitched.

“I think I’ve known I’m ready for a little while now,” Bieber recently told reporters. “It was just about building up volume.”

Bieber, 30, had previously spent his entire playing career with the Cleveland Guardians. He was traded at the deadline, however, with Toronto parting with pitching prospect Khal Stephen. In seven seasons with Cleveland, Bieber accumulated a 3.22 ERA (133 ERA+) and a 5.10 strikeout-to-walk ratio, as well as 17.8 Wins Above Replacement.

Bieber won the 2020 American League Cy Young Award and earned consideration on three other occasions. He also made two All-Star teams and won a Gold Glove Award in 2022.

The win pushed the Blue Jays’ record to 75-54, which is good for a five-game lead in the AL East. If Toronto holds on, this will represent the franchise’s first division title since 2015. 

This news was originally published on this post .

About the author

About the author call_made

SPORTIVO

More posts

trending_flat
‘We have no doubt’ – Wolff defends Antonelli after Zandvoort woes

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff says they "absolutely expected" the rollercoaster nature of Kimi Antonelli's rookie F1 season and retain "no doubt" about the teenager's ultimate potential after this Dutch Grand Prix was undone by crashing into Charles Leclerc.Antonelli, 19, experienced an incident-packed weekend on the resumption of F1's season at Zandvoort. It ultimately yielded no points after his race-day collision with Leclerc earned him a 10-second penalty. That, combined with a subsequent five-second sanction for speeding in the pit lane, eventually dropped the Italian from sixth to 16th in the final classification.It means Antonelli has scored just a single point in the last five races but Wolff, whose Mercedes outfit first signed the Italian to their junior programme as a 12-year-old and this year made him the third-youngest F1 driver of all time as replacement for the Ferrari-bound Lewis Hamilton, […]

Atlético-MG encaminha contratação do técnico Martín Anselmi, ex-Porto, e divide torcida: “É bem promissor”

Martín Anselmi no comando do Cruz Azul (Foto: Manuel Velasquez/Getty Images)O Atlético-MG encaminhou a contratação do técnico Martín Anselmi. O argentino de 40 anos está livre no mercado após ser demitido do Porto, depois da Copa do Mundo de Clubes. A informação foi publicada inicialmente pelo jornalista Guilherme Frossard e confirmada pela ESPN. PUBLICIDADE PUBLICIDADEDe acordo com a ESPN, o acordo entre Atlético-MG e Anselmi está apalavrado. A assinatura contratual deve acontecer durante essa semana. O Galo corre contra o tempo para que o treinador esteja trabalhando o mais rápido possível, tendo em vista a data-Fifa e a possibilidade de semana livre antes da partida contra o Cruzeiro, pelas quartas de final da Copa do Brasil.Quem é Martín Anselmi?O Atlético-MG sondou e fez contatos por Pedro Caixinha, Pedro Martins, Carlos Carvalhal e Zubeldía, mas vê em Anselmi um futuro promissor. […]

trending_flat
Jarren Duran hits wild inside-the-park home run to power Red Sox past Pirates

Jarren Duran made sure the Boston Red Sox avoided the sweep Sunday afternoon.Duran hit an inside-the-park home run in the fifth inning of against the Pittsburgh Pirates, which helped push the Red Sox to a 5-2 win at Fenway Park.AdvertisementAdvertisementAdvertisement[Join or create a Yahoo Fantasy Football league for the 2025 NFL season]Duran, with the game tied 1-1 in the bottom of the fifth inning, hit a shot that found the gap in the outfield perfectly. The ball rolled between the outfielders and reached the wall while Carlos Narváez and Alex Bregman scored. Duran then made it all the way around and crossed plate standing up after the throw home was well off the mark.That marked Duran’s first career inside-the-park home run. It put the Red Sox up 4-1.The inside-the-park homer was the second from a Red Sox at Fenway Park […]

Alcaraz postoupil do čtvrtfinále US Open. Půjde na Lehečku

Online magazín deníku Právo & Seznam.czCopyright © 1996–2025, Seznam.cz, a.s., Borgis, a.s., ČTK, DPA, Reuters, fotobanka Profimedia.Publikování nebo další šíření obsahu serveru Sport.cz je bez písemného souhlasu společnosti Borgis, a.s. zakázáno. RSS kanály serveru Sport.cz jsou určeny pouze pro osobní užití. Jakékoli kopírování, šíření nebo využívání obsahu RSS kanálů serveru Sport.cz bez předchozího písemného souhlasu společnosti Borgis a.s. není dovoleno. Dodavatelem obsahu serveru Sport.cz a osobou vykonávající redakční odpovědnost je společnost BORGIS a.s. Šiřitelem reklamy na serveru Sport.cz je společnost Seznam.cz, a.s., IČO 26168685.

trending_flat
Alcaraz shows his quality as he overcomes Rinderknech at US Open

Carlos Alcaraz defeated Arthur Rinderknech with touches of brilliance to reach the quarterfinals of the US Open.Spanish superstar Alcaraz took a three-set victory, 7-6 (7-3) 6-3 6-4, in their fourth-round clash, setting up a meeting with Jiri Lehecka in the last eight at Flushing Meadows. Alcaraz might have a severe new haircut but he played with exuberance to overcome a potentially dangerous opponent. Instagram This content is provided by Instagram, which may be using cookies and other technologies. To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies. You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Instagram cookies or to allow those cookies just once. You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options. Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Instagram cookies. To view this […]

trending_flat
Guehi scores stunner as Palace beat poor Villa

Player ratings: Guehi shines Aston Villa: Bizot (4); Cash (5), Konsa (5), Mings (5), Maatsen (5); McGinn (6), Tielemans (6); Malen (5), Rogers (5), Guessand (5); Watkins (5). Subs: Buendia (7), Torres (5), Burrowes (6), Bogarde (6), Digne (6). Crystal Palace: Henderson (8); Richards (7), Lacroix (7), Guehi (9); Munoz (7), Wharton (7), Hughes (7), Mitchell (7); Sarr (8), Kamada (8); Mateta (8). Subs: Lerma (6), Pino (7), Clyne (6), Devenny (6). Player of the Match: Marc Guehi

Related

trending_flat
‘We have no doubt’ – Wolff defends Antonelli after Zandvoort woes

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff says they "absolutely expected" the rollercoaster nature of Kimi Antonelli's rookie F1 season and retain "no doubt" about the teenager's ultimate potential after this Dutch Grand Prix was undone by crashing into Charles Leclerc.Antonelli, 19, experienced an incident-packed weekend on the resumption of F1's season at Zandvoort. It ultimately yielded no points after his race-day collision with Leclerc earned him a 10-second penalty. That, combined with a subsequent five-second sanction for speeding in the pit lane, eventually dropped the Italian from sixth to 16th in the final classification.It means Antonelli has scored just a single point in the last five races but Wolff, whose Mercedes outfit first signed the Italian to their junior programme as a 12-year-old and this year made him the third-youngest F1 driver of all time as replacement for the Ferrari-bound Lewis Hamilton, […]

Atlético-MG encaminha contratação do técnico Martín Anselmi, ex-Porto, e divide torcida: “É bem promissor”

Martín Anselmi no comando do Cruz Azul (Foto: Manuel Velasquez/Getty Images)O Atlético-MG encaminhou a contratação do técnico Martín Anselmi. O argentino de 40 anos está livre no mercado após ser demitido do Porto, depois da Copa do Mundo de Clubes. A informação foi publicada inicialmente pelo jornalista Guilherme Frossard e confirmada pela ESPN. PUBLICIDADE PUBLICIDADEDe acordo com a ESPN, o acordo entre Atlético-MG e Anselmi está apalavrado. A assinatura contratual deve acontecer durante essa semana. O Galo corre contra o tempo para que o treinador esteja trabalhando o mais rápido possível, tendo em vista a data-Fifa e a possibilidade de semana livre antes da partida contra o Cruzeiro, pelas quartas de final da Copa do Brasil.Quem é Martín Anselmi?O Atlético-MG sondou e fez contatos por Pedro Caixinha, Pedro Martins, Carlos Carvalhal e Zubeldía, mas vê em Anselmi um futuro promissor. […]

trending_flat
Jarren Duran hits wild inside-the-park home run to power Red Sox past Pirates

Jarren Duran made sure the Boston Red Sox avoided the sweep Sunday afternoon.Duran hit an inside-the-park home run in the fifth inning of against the Pittsburgh Pirates, which helped push the Red Sox to a 5-2 win at Fenway Park.AdvertisementAdvertisementAdvertisement[Join or create a Yahoo Fantasy Football league for the 2025 NFL season]Duran, with the game tied 1-1 in the bottom of the fifth inning, hit a shot that found the gap in the outfield perfectly. The ball rolled between the outfielders and reached the wall while Carlos Narváez and Alex Bregman scored. Duran then made it all the way around and crossed plate standing up after the throw home was well off the mark.That marked Duran’s first career inside-the-park home run. It put the Red Sox up 4-1.The inside-the-park homer was the second from a Red Sox at Fenway Park […]

Alcaraz postoupil do čtvrtfinále US Open. Půjde na Lehečku

Online magazín deníku Právo & Seznam.czCopyright © 1996–2025, Seznam.cz, a.s., Borgis, a.s., ČTK, DPA, Reuters, fotobanka Profimedia.Publikování nebo další šíření obsahu serveru Sport.cz je bez písemného souhlasu společnosti Borgis, a.s. zakázáno. RSS kanály serveru Sport.cz jsou určeny pouze pro osobní užití. Jakékoli kopírování, šíření nebo využívání obsahu RSS kanálů serveru Sport.cz bez předchozího písemného souhlasu společnosti Borgis a.s. není dovoleno. Dodavatelem obsahu serveru Sport.cz a osobou vykonávající redakční odpovědnost je společnost BORGIS a.s. Šiřitelem reklamy na serveru Sport.cz je společnost Seznam.cz, a.s., IČO 26168685.

trending_flat
Guehi scores stunner as Palace beat poor Villa

Player ratings: Guehi shines Aston Villa: Bizot (4); Cash (5), Konsa (5), Mings (5), Maatsen (5); McGinn (6), Tielemans (6); Malen (5), Rogers (5), Guessand (5); Watkins (5). Subs: Buendia (7), Torres (5), Burrowes (6), Bogarde (6), Digne (6). Crystal Palace: Henderson (8); Richards (7), Lacroix (7), Guehi (9); Munoz (7), Wharton (7), Hughes (7), Mitchell (7); Sarr (8), Kamada (8); Mateta (8). Subs: Lerma (6), Pino (7), Clyne (6), Devenny (6). Player of the Match: Marc Guehi

trending_flat
Alcaraz shows his quality as he overcomes Rinderknech at US Open

Carlos Alcaraz defeated Arthur Rinderknech with touches of brilliance to reach the quarterfinals of the US Open.Spanish superstar Alcaraz took a three-set victory, 7-6 (7-3) 6-3 6-4, in their fourth-round clash, setting up a meeting with Jiri Lehecka in the last eight at Flushing Meadows. Alcaraz might have a severe new haircut but he played with exuberance to overcome a potentially dangerous opponent. Instagram This content is provided by Instagram, which may be using cookies and other technologies. To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies. You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Instagram cookies or to allow those cookies just once. You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options. Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Instagram cookies. To view this […]

Be the first to leave a comment

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sportivo bridges the gap between talent and opportunity.

About SPORTIVO

Sportivo Network is a dedicated social platform for sports enthusiasts, athletes, and scouts. Whether you’re an aspiring athlete looking for opportunities, a coach searching for talent, or simply a sports lover wanting to connect with like-minded people, Sportivo is your go-to network. With features like direct messaging, profile showcasing, and talent scouting, Sportivo bridges the gap between talent and opportunity. Here, you can share your achievements, interact with professionals, and open doors to the next level in your sports journey. Join Sportivo Network – because every great athlete deserves to be discovered!
Copyright © 2025 SPORTIVO News. and SPORTIVO Network. All rights reserved.

Login to enjoy full advantages

Please login or subscribe to continue.

Go Premium!

Enjoy the full advantage of the premium access.

Stop following

Unfollow Cancel

Cancel subscription

Are you sure you want to cancel your subscription? You will lose your Premium access and stored playlists.

Go back Confirm cancellation