CAS rules Norwegian club Brann will not pay fine over ‘UEFA Mafia’ chants and banners

SPORTIVO
Article arrow_drop_down

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has ruled that Norwegian club Brann will not have to pay a €5,000 ($5,480) fine for fans chanting “UEFA Mafia” and displaying banners with the same message at a Women’s Champions League match.

UEFA, European football’s governing body, issued the fine to Brann for “provocative messages of an offensive nature” during a match against St. Polten in January 2024, and rejected an appeal from the club in March last year.

Advertisement

Brann subsequently lodged an appeal to CAS, who confirmed the ruling in a statement issued to The Athletic on Monday, which read: “The CAS Panel ruled by majority that, in view of the facts of this case, there was no breach of the UEFA regulations by the club and that the €5,000 fine issued by UEFA is annulled.

“As a consequence, the panel did not need to examine one of SK Brann’s argument as to whether the disciplinary sanction was a justifiable incursion on the supporters’ right of freedom of expression. Unless parties request confidentiality, a full award with grounds will be made available on the CAS website in due course.”

UEFA, meanwhile, said in a statement on Sunday the fine was set aside “only because of the truly extraordinary circumstances of the case and the thin evidentiary basis available.”

European football’s governing body added they would continue to apply their policy of “zero tolerance against inappropriate behaviour” so that matches under their jurisdiction would be free from “violent, racist or offensive behaviours that are not fit for a sports event”.

Brann chairman Aslak Sverdrup said in a statement the verdict made by CAS was “important and correct” during a time in which he said “freedom of expression is under pressure.”

Brann said UEFA had been ordered to pay the club’s legal costs, saying that cases around its usage must be taken “in light of the context”.

Jan Magne Isaksen, an attorney who represented Brann in the case, was quoted in the club’s statement as saying the CAS verdict “gives hope for an even better football future, with more openness and more democracy.”

A “UEFA Mafia” slogan was displayed by Borussia Dortmund fans against Celtic in October, in protest against Champions League reforms. Dortmund supporters had previously displayed such banners against Newcastle United in the Champions League, while Marseille were fined for the same wording in the Conference League in 2022.

(FABRICE COFFRINI/AFP via Getty Images)

This news was originally published on this post .

About the author

About the author call_made

SPORTIVO

More posts

trending_flat
‘I’m made for this’ – Townsend on fallout from Ostapenkpo exchange at US Open

Taylor Townsend secured one of the biggest wins of her career when stunning fifth seed Mirra Andreeva in straight sets at the US Open on Friday night - though attention remains focused on her heated exchange with Jelena Ostapenko after her previous match.The 29-year-old American made headlines after Ostapenko confronted her on court following their second-round clash, accusing Townsend of having "no education" and "no class". Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player Jelena Ostapenko and Taylor Townsend had a heated exchange following their post-match handshake in the second round of the US Open. Fellow players leapt to her defence, including four-time Grand Slam champion Naomi Osaka, who labelled Ostapenko's comments as "one of the worst things you can say to a black tennis player in a majority white sport".Ostapenko took to social media to strongly deny […]

trending_flat
‘I’m made for this’ – Townsend on fallout from Ostapenkpo exchange at US Open

Taylor Townsend secured one of the biggest wins of her career when stunning fifth seed Mirra Andreeva in straight sets at the US Open on Friday night - though attention remains focused on her heated exchange with Jelena Ostapenko after her previous match.The 29-year-old American made headlines after Ostapenko confronted her on court following their second-round clash, accusing Townsend of having "no education" and "no class". Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player Jelena Ostapenko and Taylor Townsend had a heated exchange following their post-match handshake in the second round of the US Open. Fellow players leapt to her defence, including four-time Grand Slam champion Naomi Osaka, who labelled Ostapenko's comments as "one of the worst things you can say to a black tennis player in a majority white sport".Ostapenko took to social media to strongly deny […]

trending_flat
Jackson Arnold’s Auburn Debut Steals Spotlight while Coach Prime, Colorado Stumble

<!--> [--> RJ Young FOX Sports National College Football Analyst <!--> --> Hugh Freeze is known for dialing up fireworks through the air. But in Auburn's season-opener on Friday night, it was a punishing ground attack that stole the show.The Tigers steamrolled Baylor 38–24 behind 307 rushing yards and a breakout performance from former Oklahoma quarterback Jackson Arnold, who ran for 137 yards and two scores in his Auburn debut. The Tigers exploded for 24 points in the second and third quarters, taking control and never letting go.For Auburn, it was a statement win. For the Big 12 — which also saw Colorado fall to Georgia Tech — it was a rough start to a season where the league hoped to make an early playoff push.Here are some top takeaways from Friday night's action.Auburn’s rushing attack shines bright in season-opening […]

trending_flat
Joshua targets early 2026 return before ‘roll of the dice’ Fury mega-fight

Anthony Joshua is on track to return in a comeback fight in early 2026 before a "roll of the dice" blockbuster next summer.After Joshua's loss to Daniel Dubois last September, a lingering elbow injury would not heal and eventually required an operation. That has kept the 35-year-old out of action but he has now resumed training. His next fight back will most likely be in January or the start of February. He would not return to an immediate contest with a top-level heavyweight but will target a tune-up bout against world top-15 calibre opponent before pursuing the biggest names in the division.The ultimate target, though, remains Tyson Fury, a great all-British showdown that has so far eluded Joshua. Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player We take a look at some of the most incredible moments ever […]

trending_flat
Today on Sky Sports Racing: Chester, Lingfield and Newton Abbot feature

We have a busy day's racing on Saturday with domestic action from Chester, Lingfield and Newton Abbot, before a busy evening of Stateside action, live on Sky Sports Racing...2.40 Chester - Tabletalk faces Alsakib and PrydwenThe Listed Virgin Bet Chester Stakes headlines our action on the Roodee on Saturday and sees Tabletalk face Alsakib and co. Tom Clover's stable star Tabletalk arrives here off the back of a six-week break after finishing third in the John Smith's Silver Cup Stakes where he was no match for Al Qareem. He hasn't got his nose in front for a year now but he drops to Listed class for the first time since October last year and that could help him get back to winning ways.Alsakib comes here on a revival mission after disappointing at York in June where it was reported that […]

Mladá hvězda dala přednost Česku před Nizozemskem. Jednadvacítka má posilu do útoku

„V Dordrechtu pravidelně nastupuje, dává góly. Produktivní byl i v přípravě. Je vysoký, rychlý, s dobrým zakončením. Mohl by být pro nás vhodnou alternativou do útoku,“ řekl Bílek na páteční nominační tiskové konferenci.Eduardo vyrůstal v Nizozemsku, které reprezentoval v nižších mládežnických kategoriích. Například ještě loni v březnu nastoupil za Oranjes proti české osmnáctce. Na podzim 2024 už ale odehrál 3 přípravy za tuzemskou devatenáctku. Teď dostal pozvánku do jednadvacítky, která pod novým trenérem Bílkem vstoupí do kvalifikace o ME U21 v roce 2027.„Byla dohoda, že po první zkušenosti v devatenáctce se trochu odmlčí a rozhodne se, jaký stát bude reprezentovat. S Pavlem Nedvědem (generální manažer českých reprezentací) jsme se pustili do komunikace s ním i hráčovým manažerem. Jsem rád, že se Yannick rozhodl pro nás. Je to typologicky jiný útočník, než které máme,“ podotkl Bílek s tím, že Eduardo mluví obstojně česky.V 16 letech se Eduardo připojil k mládežnické akademii RB Lipsko, s bundesligovým klubem podepsal kontrakt do roku […]

Related

trending_flat
‘I’m made for this’ – Townsend on fallout from Ostapenkpo exchange at US Open

Taylor Townsend secured one of the biggest wins of her career when stunning fifth seed Mirra Andreeva in straight sets at the US Open on Friday night - though attention remains focused on her heated exchange with Jelena Ostapenko after her previous match.The 29-year-old American made headlines after Ostapenko confronted her on court following their second-round clash, accusing Townsend of having "no education" and "no class". Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player Jelena Ostapenko and Taylor Townsend had a heated exchange following their post-match handshake in the second round of the US Open. Fellow players leapt to her defence, including four-time Grand Slam champion Naomi Osaka, who labelled Ostapenko's comments as "one of the worst things you can say to a black tennis player in a majority white sport".Ostapenko took to social media to strongly deny […]

trending_flat
‘I’m made for this’ – Townsend on fallout from Ostapenkpo exchange at US Open

Taylor Townsend secured one of the biggest wins of her career when stunning fifth seed Mirra Andreeva in straight sets at the US Open on Friday night - though attention remains focused on her heated exchange with Jelena Ostapenko after her previous match.The 29-year-old American made headlines after Ostapenko confronted her on court following their second-round clash, accusing Townsend of having "no education" and "no class". Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player Jelena Ostapenko and Taylor Townsend had a heated exchange following their post-match handshake in the second round of the US Open. Fellow players leapt to her defence, including four-time Grand Slam champion Naomi Osaka, who labelled Ostapenko's comments as "one of the worst things you can say to a black tennis player in a majority white sport".Ostapenko took to social media to strongly deny […]

trending_flat
Jackson Arnold’s Auburn Debut Steals Spotlight while Coach Prime, Colorado Stumble

<!--> [--> RJ Young FOX Sports National College Football Analyst <!--> --> Hugh Freeze is known for dialing up fireworks through the air. But in Auburn's season-opener on Friday night, it was a punishing ground attack that stole the show.The Tigers steamrolled Baylor 38–24 behind 307 rushing yards and a breakout performance from former Oklahoma quarterback Jackson Arnold, who ran for 137 yards and two scores in his Auburn debut. The Tigers exploded for 24 points in the second and third quarters, taking control and never letting go.For Auburn, it was a statement win. For the Big 12 — which also saw Colorado fall to Georgia Tech — it was a rough start to a season where the league hoped to make an early playoff push.Here are some top takeaways from Friday night's action.Auburn’s rushing attack shines bright in season-opening […]

trending_flat
Today on Sky Sports Racing: Chester, Lingfield and Newton Abbot feature

We have a busy day's racing on Saturday with domestic action from Chester, Lingfield and Newton Abbot, before a busy evening of Stateside action, live on Sky Sports Racing...2.40 Chester - Tabletalk faces Alsakib and PrydwenThe Listed Virgin Bet Chester Stakes headlines our action on the Roodee on Saturday and sees Tabletalk face Alsakib and co. Tom Clover's stable star Tabletalk arrives here off the back of a six-week break after finishing third in the John Smith's Silver Cup Stakes where he was no match for Al Qareem. He hasn't got his nose in front for a year now but he drops to Listed class for the first time since October last year and that could help him get back to winning ways.Alsakib comes here on a revival mission after disappointing at York in June where it was reported that […]

trending_flat
Joshua targets early 2026 return before ‘roll of the dice’ Fury mega-fight

Anthony Joshua is on track to return in a comeback fight in early 2026 before a "roll of the dice" blockbuster next summer.After Joshua's loss to Daniel Dubois last September, a lingering elbow injury would not heal and eventually required an operation. That has kept the 35-year-old out of action but he has now resumed training. His next fight back will most likely be in January or the start of February. He would not return to an immediate contest with a top-level heavyweight but will target a tune-up bout against world top-15 calibre opponent before pursuing the biggest names in the division.The ultimate target, though, remains Tyson Fury, a great all-British showdown that has so far eluded Joshua. Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player We take a look at some of the most incredible moments ever […]

Mladá hvězda dala přednost Česku před Nizozemskem. Jednadvacítka má posilu do útoku

„V Dordrechtu pravidelně nastupuje, dává góly. Produktivní byl i v přípravě. Je vysoký, rychlý, s dobrým zakončením. Mohl by být pro nás vhodnou alternativou do útoku,“ řekl Bílek na páteční nominační tiskové konferenci.Eduardo vyrůstal v Nizozemsku, které reprezentoval v nižších mládežnických kategoriích. Například ještě loni v březnu nastoupil za Oranjes proti české osmnáctce. Na podzim 2024 už ale odehrál 3 přípravy za tuzemskou devatenáctku. Teď dostal pozvánku do jednadvacítky, která pod novým trenérem Bílkem vstoupí do kvalifikace o ME U21 v roce 2027.„Byla dohoda, že po první zkušenosti v devatenáctce se trochu odmlčí a rozhodne se, jaký stát bude reprezentovat. S Pavlem Nedvědem (generální manažer českých reprezentací) jsme se pustili do komunikace s ním i hráčovým manažerem. Jsem rád, že se Yannick rozhodl pro nás. Je to typologicky jiný útočník, než které máme,“ podotkl Bílek s tím, že Eduardo mluví obstojně česky.V 16 letech se Eduardo připojil k mládežnické akademii RB Lipsko, s bundesligovým klubem podepsal kontrakt do roku […]

Be the first to leave a comment

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sportivo bridges the gap between talent and opportunity.

About SPORTIVO

Sportivo Network is a dedicated social platform for sports enthusiasts, athletes, and scouts. Whether you’re an aspiring athlete looking for opportunities, a coach searching for talent, or simply a sports lover wanting to connect with like-minded people, Sportivo is your go-to network. With features like direct messaging, profile showcasing, and talent scouting, Sportivo bridges the gap between talent and opportunity. Here, you can share your achievements, interact with professionals, and open doors to the next level in your sports journey. Join Sportivo Network – because every great athlete deserves to be discovered!
Copyright © 2025 SPORTIVO News. and SPORTIVO Network. All rights reserved.

Login to enjoy full advantages

Please login or subscribe to continue.

Go Premium!

Enjoy the full advantage of the premium access.

Stop following

Unfollow Cancel

Cancel subscription

Are you sure you want to cancel your subscription? You will lose your Premium access and stored playlists.

Go back Confirm cancellation