Blue Jackets awaken offensively, stave off playoff elimination by beating Ottawa

SPORTIVO
Article arrow_drop_down

COLUMBUS, Ohio — It doesn’t look good, and everybody knows it. The Columbus Blue Jackets would need a miracle over the final five games and nine days of the regular season to jump four teams and claim the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.

But “doesn’t look good” is not the same as “mathematically eliminated.”

Advertisement

The Blue Jackets awakened offensively and snapped an ill-timed three-game losing streak by beating the Ottawa Senators 5-2 on Tuesday before 15,188 in Nationwide Arena. If the Jackets had lost in regulation, they would have been playing out the string the rest of the way.

“We used different words in the locker room, but, basically, (we wanted) to play with great confidence,” Blue Jackets coach Dean Evason said. “Have some bite. Play with an edge. We’re good, too. I think we’ve lost that a little bit.

“We’ve gone over our last couple of games and while we didn’t play poorly, we didn’t play with that bite, that extra edge that we had tonight. We have to play like that the rest of the way. We have a chance. You guys know the numbers better than I do, and we’ll talk about it tomorrow. But we’re not mathematically eliminated, so we’re going to play freakin’ hard every night.”

Dmitri Voronkov, Justin Danforth, Mathieu Olivier, Sean Monahan and Adam Fantilli scored for the Blue Jackets, who had been shut out in their previous two games, including once by these Senators. Kent Johnson added two assists while goaltender Elvis Merzlikins had 33 saves.

Voronkov’s goal was big on two fronts.

It was the big Russian’s first goal in 16 games — his longest scoring drought of the season — and it put the Blue Jackets ahead 1-0 only 7:00 into the game. Voronkov’s last goal came on March 1, when the Jackets beat the Detroit Red Wings in the outdoor game at Ohio Stadium for the high-water mark of the season.

The goal ended a run for 14 consecutive goals against the Blue Jackets (dating back to an April 3 game vs. Colorado), and snapped their scoring drought at 159 minutes, 4 seconds.

Advertisement

“We’re a desperate team right now and it showed early on,” Danforth said. “For us, getting first goals is big for our confidence. We played a bit mean, played with a bit of swagger. Everybody played great up and down the lineup. We got one and we got rolling.”

While the Blue Jackets were pulling away from Ottawa — a goal late in the second (Olivier) and a power-play goal early in the third (Monahan) made it 4-1 — the Montreal Canadiens were taking care of business at home against the Detroit Red Wings.

For weeks now, the battle for the final wild-card spot has been more like a potato-sack race than a sprint to the postseason. But the Canadiens, who have won six straight, have taken charge to put their grip on the final playoff spot.

A regulation loss by the Blue Jackets on Tuesday would have ended it. But any combination of a Blue Jackets regulation loss or a Canadiens win  — Columbus hosts Buffalo on Thursday, while Montreal plays at Ottawa on Friday — would pull the plug.

That’s just their situation with Montreal. The Jackets would also need to pass the Red Wings, the New York Rangers, and the New York Islanders in the standings.

“We know the situation we’re in,” Fantilli said. “We see the standings. We still have to give ourselves the best chance to get in. We’ve put ourselves in a tough position, but our goal is to win out the rest of the season.”

Evason said he and the coaching staff have noticed a tendency in recent weeks, and not a good one. The Blue Jackets, he noted, have been wading into games physically. That is, they’ve been responding to physical play, but not dictating it themselves.

That was not the case on Tuesday. There were greasy hits, hard checks and post-whistle scrums for most of the final two periods, with Sean Kuraly, Olivier, Monahan, Erik Gudbranson and others providing much of the spark.

Advertisement

“It was a bit of a chippy game, and that got us engaged,” Evason said. “We talked to the team after the game that we need to do that on a consistent basis, not have something happen in order for us to get (there). I think we started that way (tonight). We had some bite in our game right from the start.”

After Tuesday’s slate of games, the Sabres were eliminated from the playoffs despite a shutout win over Carolina. The team directly above Buffalo in the standings is the Blue Jackets, but they’re not looking over their shoulder, the players said.

“We can’t lose. We just have to play like we can’t lose,” Olivier said. “Until there’s an ‘E’ or an ‘X’ next to our name … as soon as that’s decided, we have to play like we have a chance. Tonight was a good first step.”

(Photo of Elvis Merzlikins and Tim Stützle: Russell LaBounty / Imagn Images)

This news was originally published on this post .

About the author

About the author call_made

SPORTIVO

More posts

Portugalsko uctí Jotovu památku předáním čísla 21 jeho kamarádovi Nevesovi

„Všichni si dobře uvědomujeme, co pro každého z nás Diogo znamenal a jaký vliv měl na naše životy. Chceme si jeho památku připomínat každý den. Bude s námi a bude další hnací silou, která nám pomůže dosáhnout našich cílů,“ řekl Martínez na páteční tiskové konferenci. „Diogo chtěl vyhrát mistrovství světa a my jsme tu, abychom bojovali a ten sen splnili,“ dodal.Osmadvacetiletý Jota zemřel na začátku července při autonehodě ve Španělsku. Spolu s ním ve voze zahynul i jeho o tři roky mladší bratr André. Neves, jenž s Jotou hrával tři roky ve Wolverhamptonu, nesl při pohřbu rakev. „Měli spolu velice blízký vztah a Rúben je ideální osobou, která ho může reprezentovat,“ dodal k předání čísla Martínez.Liverpool se už dříve rozhodl pro opačný postup a na Jotovu počest vyřadil z užívání číslo 20, které Portugalec v klubu nosil. Připomínat ho navíc bude socha, kterou klub instaluje na svém stadionu Anfield.

trending_flat
‘The best is yet to come’ for Raducanu despite Rybakina humbling at US Open

Former British No 1 Tim Henman believes the best is yet to come from Emma Raducanu despite her chastening US Open defeat at the hands of Elena Rybakina.Raducanu had breezed through to the third round in New York, winning her first two matches for the loss of only six games, but here she was on the receiving end as former Wimbledon champion Rybakina powered to a 6-1 6-2 victory in just 62 minutes. The loss brings to an end a season of what might have been for Raducanu at the Grand Slams, with the 22-year-old having failed to progress beyond the third round at any of them, having run into Iga Swiatek twice, Aryna Sabalenka and now Rybakina. Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player Speaking after her US Open exit against Rybakina, Raducanu believes she is […]

US Open čeká české derby, Muchová vyzve Noskovou

Přesně před rokem a dvaceti šesti dny spolu v Paříži neúspěšně bojovali o bronzovou medaili, nyní se na druhé straně oceánu postaví na kurt jako soupeřky.Mladší z dvojice, dvacetiletá Nosková, zatím prochází grandslamem bez ztráty setu. Na úvod si poradila s maďarskou kvalifikantkou Dalmou Gálfiovou 6:4, 7:5. Ve druhém kole navíc pošetřila síly, jelikož jí za stavu 6:4, 3:0 pro Noskovou vzdala kamarádka, Němka Eva Lysová.Rodačka ze Vsetína už nyní vylepšila své maximum ve Flushing Meadows, zatím se nikdy nedostala dál než do druhého kola. Letos střídá dobré a horší období. Po úspěšném červnu a červenci, kdy uhrála semifinále v Bad Homburgu, osmifinále ve Wimbledonu a dokonce finále v Praze nedokázala v Montrealu ani v Cincinnati uhrát první kolo. Náladu si spravila v Monterrey, kde se v cestě za obhajobou titulu zastavila až ve čtvrtfinále.To Muchová se na postup do třetího kola nadřela mnohem víc, oba její zápasy se protáhly na tři sety. V prvním kole se […]

trending_flat
As últimas notícias do mercado: as contratações e os rumores de transferências que estão na ordem do dia

Atualizado a 30 de agosto  ©IMAGO Já nos encontramos em pleno verão e, por isso, o mercado está ao rubro, com os clubes a acelerarem as negociações de forma a tentarem fechar as contratações de novos jogadores para 2025/26. Fórum Transfermarkt Queres discutir estas transferências e rumores com outros adeptos? Junta-te à conversa no fórum e partilha a tua opinião Acede ao fórum Dos gigantes europeus às movimentações das equipas da Liga Portuguesa, fica a par das notícias que têm agitado o mercado nas últimas horas.As últimas notícias do mercadoDepois de garantir a contratação de Georgiy Sudakov, que inclusive já se encontra em Lisboa para assinar contrato, o Benfica vai agora avançar para a transferência do extremo espanhol Carlos Álvarez, do Levante. De acordo com o 'Record', as negociações entre os dois clubes avançaram nas últimas horas e os encarnados […]

trending_flat
Jackson heading to Bayern as record loan fee agreed

Bayern Munich have agreed a record loan deal of £13m for Chelsea striker Nicolas Jackson.Chelsea have accepted a loan with an option to buy in a deal that includes a £13m (€15m) upfront loan fee with an additional £56.2m (€65m) fixed fee and a sell-on clause. The package is potentially worth £70m in total, which matches Chelsea's valuation of the player, who they signed from Villarreal two years ago for £30m.Jackson, who has agreed a contract with Bayern, was given permission by Chelsea to fly to Germany to have a medical and complete the deal.The 24-year-old had told Chelsea earlier this month that he wanted to consider his options during the transfer window after the club signed strikers Joao Pedro and Liam Delap this summer. After talks on Friday night, the final decision to accept Bayern's offer was made on […]

trending_flat
Jackson heading to Bayern as record loan fee agreed

Bayern Munich have agreed a record loan deal of £13m for Chelsea striker Nicolas Jackson.Chelsea have accepted a loan with an option to buy in a deal that includes a £13m (€15m) upfront loan fee with an additional £56.2m (€65m) fixed fee and a sell-on clause. The package is potentially worth £70m in total, which matches Chelsea's valuation of the player, who they signed from Villarreal two years ago for £30m.Jackson, who has agreed a contract with Bayern, was given permission by Chelsea to fly to Germany to have a medical and complete the deal.The 24-year-old had told Chelsea earlier this month that he wanted to consider his options during the transfer window after the club signed strikers Joao Pedro and Liam Delap this summer. After talks on Friday night, the final decision to accept Bayern's offer was made on […]

Related

Portugalsko uctí Jotovu památku předáním čísla 21 jeho kamarádovi Nevesovi

„Všichni si dobře uvědomujeme, co pro každého z nás Diogo znamenal a jaký vliv měl na naše životy. Chceme si jeho památku připomínat každý den. Bude s námi a bude další hnací silou, která nám pomůže dosáhnout našich cílů,“ řekl Martínez na páteční tiskové konferenci. „Diogo chtěl vyhrát mistrovství světa a my jsme tu, abychom bojovali a ten sen splnili,“ dodal.Osmadvacetiletý Jota zemřel na začátku července při autonehodě ve Španělsku. Spolu s ním ve voze zahynul i jeho o tři roky mladší bratr André. Neves, jenž s Jotou hrával tři roky ve Wolverhamptonu, nesl při pohřbu rakev. „Měli spolu velice blízký vztah a Rúben je ideální osobou, která ho může reprezentovat,“ dodal k předání čísla Martínez.Liverpool se už dříve rozhodl pro opačný postup a na Jotovu počest vyřadil z užívání číslo 20, které Portugalec v klubu nosil. Připomínat ho navíc bude socha, kterou klub instaluje na svém stadionu Anfield.

trending_flat
‘The best is yet to come’ for Raducanu despite Rybakina humbling at US Open

Former British No 1 Tim Henman believes the best is yet to come from Emma Raducanu despite her chastening US Open defeat at the hands of Elena Rybakina.Raducanu had breezed through to the third round in New York, winning her first two matches for the loss of only six games, but here she was on the receiving end as former Wimbledon champion Rybakina powered to a 6-1 6-2 victory in just 62 minutes. The loss brings to an end a season of what might have been for Raducanu at the Grand Slams, with the 22-year-old having failed to progress beyond the third round at any of them, having run into Iga Swiatek twice, Aryna Sabalenka and now Rybakina. Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player Speaking after her US Open exit against Rybakina, Raducanu believes she is […]

US Open čeká české derby, Muchová vyzve Noskovou

Přesně před rokem a dvaceti šesti dny spolu v Paříži neúspěšně bojovali o bronzovou medaili, nyní se na druhé straně oceánu postaví na kurt jako soupeřky.Mladší z dvojice, dvacetiletá Nosková, zatím prochází grandslamem bez ztráty setu. Na úvod si poradila s maďarskou kvalifikantkou Dalmou Gálfiovou 6:4, 7:5. Ve druhém kole navíc pošetřila síly, jelikož jí za stavu 6:4, 3:0 pro Noskovou vzdala kamarádka, Němka Eva Lysová.Rodačka ze Vsetína už nyní vylepšila své maximum ve Flushing Meadows, zatím se nikdy nedostala dál než do druhého kola. Letos střídá dobré a horší období. Po úspěšném červnu a červenci, kdy uhrála semifinále v Bad Homburgu, osmifinále ve Wimbledonu a dokonce finále v Praze nedokázala v Montrealu ani v Cincinnati uhrát první kolo. Náladu si spravila v Monterrey, kde se v cestě za obhajobou titulu zastavila až ve čtvrtfinále.To Muchová se na postup do třetího kola nadřela mnohem víc, oba její zápasy se protáhly na tři sety. V prvním kole se […]

trending_flat
As últimas notícias do mercado: as contratações e os rumores de transferências que estão na ordem do dia

Atualizado a 30 de agosto  ©IMAGO Já nos encontramos em pleno verão e, por isso, o mercado está ao rubro, com os clubes a acelerarem as negociações de forma a tentarem fechar as contratações de novos jogadores para 2025/26. Fórum Transfermarkt Queres discutir estas transferências e rumores com outros adeptos? Junta-te à conversa no fórum e partilha a tua opinião Acede ao fórum Dos gigantes europeus às movimentações das equipas da Liga Portuguesa, fica a par das notícias que têm agitado o mercado nas últimas horas.As últimas notícias do mercadoDepois de garantir a contratação de Georgiy Sudakov, que inclusive já se encontra em Lisboa para assinar contrato, o Benfica vai agora avançar para a transferência do extremo espanhol Carlos Álvarez, do Levante. De acordo com o 'Record', as negociações entre os dois clubes avançaram nas últimas horas e os encarnados […]

trending_flat
Jackson heading to Bayern as record loan fee agreed

Bayern Munich have agreed a record loan deal of £13m for Chelsea striker Nicolas Jackson.Chelsea have accepted a loan with an option to buy in a deal that includes a £13m (€15m) upfront loan fee with an additional £56.2m (€65m) fixed fee and a sell-on clause. The package is potentially worth £70m in total, which matches Chelsea's valuation of the player, who they signed from Villarreal two years ago for £30m.Jackson, who has agreed a contract with Bayern, was given permission by Chelsea to fly to Germany to have a medical and complete the deal.The 24-year-old had told Chelsea earlier this month that he wanted to consider his options during the transfer window after the club signed strikers Joao Pedro and Liam Delap this summer. After talks on Friday night, the final decision to accept Bayern's offer was made on […]

trending_flat
Jackson heading to Bayern as record loan fee agreed

Bayern Munich have agreed a record loan deal of £13m for Chelsea striker Nicolas Jackson.Chelsea have accepted a loan with an option to buy in a deal that includes a £13m (€15m) upfront loan fee with an additional £56.2m (€65m) fixed fee and a sell-on clause. The package is potentially worth £70m in total, which matches Chelsea's valuation of the player, who they signed from Villarreal two years ago for £30m.Jackson, who has agreed a contract with Bayern, was given permission by Chelsea to fly to Germany to have a medical and complete the deal.The 24-year-old had told Chelsea earlier this month that he wanted to consider his options during the transfer window after the club signed strikers Joao Pedro and Liam Delap this summer. After talks on Friday night, the final decision to accept Bayern's offer was made on […]

Be the first to leave a comment

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sportivo bridges the gap between talent and opportunity.

About SPORTIVO

Sportivo Network is a dedicated social platform for sports enthusiasts, athletes, and scouts. Whether you’re an aspiring athlete looking for opportunities, a coach searching for talent, or simply a sports lover wanting to connect with like-minded people, Sportivo is your go-to network. With features like direct messaging, profile showcasing, and talent scouting, Sportivo bridges the gap between talent and opportunity. Here, you can share your achievements, interact with professionals, and open doors to the next level in your sports journey. Join Sportivo Network – because every great athlete deserves to be discovered!
Copyright © 2025 SPORTIVO News. and SPORTIVO Network. All rights reserved.

Login to enjoy full advantages

Please login or subscribe to continue.

Go Premium!

Enjoy the full advantage of the premium access.

Stop following

Unfollow Cancel

Cancel subscription

Are you sure you want to cancel your subscription? You will lose your Premium access and stored playlists.

Go back Confirm cancellation