U.S. Soccer, NWSL see 2031 Women’s World Cup as ‘catalyst’ for growth and league expansion

SPORTIVO
Article arrow_drop_down

LOS ANGELES — The United States has not yet formally won the bid to host the 2031 Women’s World Cup but various figures from the U.S. Soccer Federation and the NWSL are already looking six years ahead to harness the power of hosting the tournament.

“It gives us something to work towards that we know from history can change the interest level in women’s soccer,” NWSL commissioner Jessica Berman told The Athletic before the U.S. women’s national team face Brazil on Saturday, a rematch of the 2024 Paris Olympics gold medal match.

Advertisement

FIFA president Gianni Infantino said on Thursday that the U.S. submitted the only “valid bid” to host the 2031 tournament before the governing body’s deadline. FIFA later announced that the U.S. submitted a joint bid with “other member associations from Concacaf (to be confirmed in due course).”

The longer runway allows for significant planning time, especially with the potential to build upon hosting the 2026 men’s World Cup alongside Mexico and Canada, and the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics.

U.S. Soccer CEO J.T. Batson stressed that the bid includes growing the game across the region through Concacaf participation, and pointed to Friday’s announcement of Washington Spirit owner Michele Kang doubling down on her investment in U.S. Soccer with a $25 million contribution. Batson said this will allow the federation to be better prepared for 2031.

“Your ability to use the World Cup as a catalyst is before, not after,” Batson said. “So starting way early on, that is something that we’re really excited about.”


Michele Kang with U.S. Soccer CEO J.T. Batson. (Mike Lawrence / Getty Images for USSF)

Details about what the bid includes are thin, with Mexico absent on paper after their previous co-host billing from the 2027 bidding process. However, Batson called the U.S. a “co-host” rather than a host. Many of the details, he said, depend on the tournament potentially expanding to a 48-team endeavor, which he said is something U.S. Soccer has been “passionate supporters for.”

“We think it would be incredible for growing the women’s game,” Batson told reporters on Friday.

“One of the things we hear from folks who lead federations around the world is they view the Women’s World Cup as an opportunity for them to 1. make a World Cup, and 2., really go compete in a way they wouldn’t be able to on the men’s side,” Batson said. With U.S. Soccer president Cindy Parlow Cone now a member of the FIFA Council, it’s another chance for the federation to advocate for tournament expansion.

Advertisement

Beyond U.S. Soccer, the NWSL stands to benefit from the third Women’s World Cup on home soil — and the first with a professional league in a position to take advantage of the tournament bump.

“Hopefully, this will be a catalyst for a lot of cities,” Kang, whose Washington Spirit was a beaten finalist in the NWSL last year, said following the SheBelieves Summit at a small media roundtable. “Even from an infrastructure perspective, I’m trying to convince our area that the World Cup is coming and Washington, D.C. could be the center of women’s football, not just government and political power. We’re trying to use that as an opportunity to expand the presence and get women’s football squarely in the mainstream.”

Angel City CEO and co-founder Julie Uhrman was enthusiastic about what hosting the World Cup could offer all levels of the sport.

“It’s more visibility for women’s football, it’s more access to see incredible athletes,” Uhrman said. “Then the idea that most of them play in the NWSL, and you can continue to see them every single month following the World Cup, it’s a huge opportunity, not only for the league but to grow the sport from the grassroots level all the way to the professional level.”

Existing and potential NWSL markets stand to benefit six years down the line, a landscape that Berman has aspirations to expand as large as the NFL.

With Denver and Boston entering the league in 2026 before the men’s World Cup, there are no signs that the NWSL will stop there. Berman said that while expansion plans have been based on the league’s business, a 2031 World Cup in the U.S. could provide an additional filter for the league to consider.

“I’m very confident that our expansion will continue between now and then, so this will certainly give us even more reason to be bullish on our expansion plan,” Berman said. “Seeing how the country reacts to the men’s World Cup next year will be really important. We’re already working closely with FIFA and the host committees, even though it’s the men’s World Cup, to capitalize on it being here. Through that, we can formulate a plan that will take us through 2031.”

(Top photo: Alex Grimm / Getty Images)

This news was originally published on this post .

About the author

About the author call_made

SPORTIVO

More posts

Premiérovou Paraguayskou rallye vyhrál Ogier

Online magazín deníku Právo & Seznam.czCopyright © 1996–2025, Seznam.cz, a.s., Borgis, a.s., ČTK, DPA, Reuters, fotobanka Profimedia.Publikování nebo další šíření obsahu serveru Sport.cz je bez písemného souhlasu společnosti Borgis, a.s. zakázáno. RSS kanály serveru Sport.cz jsou určeny pouze pro osobní užití. Jakékoli kopírování, šíření nebo využívání obsahu RSS kanálů serveru Sport.cz bez předchozího písemného souhlasu společnosti Borgis a.s. není dovoleno. Dodavatelem obsahu serveru Sport.cz a osobou vykonávající redakční odpovědnost je společnost BORGIS a.s. Šiřitelem reklamy na serveru Sport.cz je společnost Seznam.cz, a.s., IČO 26168685.

trending_flat
DaRon Bland contract: Cowboys CB agrees to massive extension with hopes of returning to Pro Bowl form

Getty Images While they weren't able to re-sign Micah Parsons, the Dallas Cowboys were able to lock up another Pro Bowler on its defense for the long haul. The Cowboys and former Pro Bowl cornerback DaRon Bland have agreed to terms of a new deal in the form of a four-year, $92 million extension, the team announced. A 2022 fifth-round pick, Bland's extension is a byproduct of the success he enjoyed during his first three seasons in Dallas. After picking off five passes as a rookie, Bland led the NFL with nine interceptions in 2023 en route to earning his first Pro Bowl berth. "I'm so happy for him," Cowboys coach Brian Schottenheimer said of Bland's extension on Sunday. "Well deserved. ... Another guy who perfectly fits our defense." After a highly successful first two seasons with the Cowboys, a foot injury sustained last summer […]

trending_flat
USA Midfielder Yunus Musah Reportedly Loaned Out to Atalanta In $29 Million Deal

After being left off Mauricio Pochettino's 23-man roster for the September international window, United States men's national team midfielder Yunus Musah has secured a season-long loan from AC Milan to Atalanta BC, according to multiple reports.The deal is worth approximately $29 million between the loan fee and Atalanta's option to buy, according to soccer journalist Fabrizio Romano. Milan acquired Musah from Valencia in 2023 for a transfer fee of $21 million. Before Valencia, Musah played for Arsenal's academy team.Musah, 22, appearaed in 40 matches for Milan last season and recorded three assists. All three of Musah's assists came while playing in the central midfield. Musah also played as a right midfielder last season.Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri gave Musah the start in Milan's season-opener against Lecce, and he went the full 90 in a 2-0 win. His United States men's national […]

trending_flat
USA Midfielder Yunus Musah Reportedly Loaned Out to Atalanta In $29 Million Deal

After being left off Mauricio Pochettino's 23-man roster for the September international window, United States men's national team midfielder Yunus Musah has secured a season-long loan from AC Milan to Atalanta BC, according to multiple reports.The deal is worth approximately $29 million between the loan fee and Atalanta's option to buy, according to soccer journalist Fabrizio Romano. Milan acquired Musah from Valencia in 2023 for a transfer fee of $21 million. Before Valencia, Musah played for Arsenal's academy team.Musah, 22, appearaed in 40 matches for Milan last season and recorded three assists. All three of Musah's assists came while playing in the central midfield. Musah also played as a right midfielder last season.Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri gave Musah the start in Milan's season-opener against Lecce, and he went the full 90 in a 2-0 win. His United States men's national […]

trending_flat
‘A complete surprise’ – Hamilton reflects on ‘painful’ Dutch GP crash

Lewis Hamilton admitted he was taken by "complete surprise" as an uncharacteristic crash saw him make a "painful" early exit from the Dutch Grand Prix.Hamilton had been running in seventh during the early stages of the race before Ferrari brought him in for a pit stop in an attempt to undercut the Mercedes of George Russell. With Hamilton pushing to make the undercut stick as light rain fell, the seven-time world champion got off line through the banked Hugenholtzbocht hairpin, lost control and hit the barrier.Reflecting on the incident, Hamilton said: "I didn't really want the undercut necessarily, at that time."I was just saying that we would have to probably try and undercut them at some point. Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player Highlights of the Dutch Grand Prix from Zandvoort "But it was more I […]

trending_flat
Cowboys Extend Cornerback Daron Bland After Trading Micah Parsons

Just days after trading the cornerstone of their defense, the Dallas Cowboys extended one of their key playmakers in the secondary.According to FOX Sports' Jay Glazer, the Cowboys have agreed to a four-year extension with cornerback Daron Bland. Reports indicate the deal is worth $92 million.Last week, the Cowboys traded Micah Parsons to the Green Bay Packers for two first-round picks and defensive tackle Kenny Clark. Parsons wanted a new contract, and no progress was made on that during training camp, ultimately leading to the deal. Daron Bland broke out in 2023, when he led the NFL in interceptions and scored five touchdowns. (Richard Rodriguez/Getty Images) <!--> -->Parsons will make an estimated $47 million per year with the Packers, making him the highest-paid player who is not a quarterback in the NFL. The Cowboys already have the highest-paid quarterback (Dak […]

Related

Premiérovou Paraguayskou rallye vyhrál Ogier

Online magazín deníku Právo & Seznam.czCopyright © 1996–2025, Seznam.cz, a.s., Borgis, a.s., ČTK, DPA, Reuters, fotobanka Profimedia.Publikování nebo další šíření obsahu serveru Sport.cz je bez písemného souhlasu společnosti Borgis, a.s. zakázáno. RSS kanály serveru Sport.cz jsou určeny pouze pro osobní užití. Jakékoli kopírování, šíření nebo využívání obsahu RSS kanálů serveru Sport.cz bez předchozího písemného souhlasu společnosti Borgis a.s. není dovoleno. Dodavatelem obsahu serveru Sport.cz a osobou vykonávající redakční odpovědnost je společnost BORGIS a.s. Šiřitelem reklamy na serveru Sport.cz je společnost Seznam.cz, a.s., IČO 26168685.

trending_flat
DaRon Bland contract: Cowboys CB agrees to massive extension with hopes of returning to Pro Bowl form

Getty Images While they weren't able to re-sign Micah Parsons, the Dallas Cowboys were able to lock up another Pro Bowler on its defense for the long haul. The Cowboys and former Pro Bowl cornerback DaRon Bland have agreed to terms of a new deal in the form of a four-year, $92 million extension, the team announced. A 2022 fifth-round pick, Bland's extension is a byproduct of the success he enjoyed during his first three seasons in Dallas. After picking off five passes as a rookie, Bland led the NFL with nine interceptions in 2023 en route to earning his first Pro Bowl berth. "I'm so happy for him," Cowboys coach Brian Schottenheimer said of Bland's extension on Sunday. "Well deserved. ... Another guy who perfectly fits our defense." After a highly successful first two seasons with the Cowboys, a foot injury sustained last summer […]

trending_flat
USA Midfielder Yunus Musah Reportedly Loaned Out to Atalanta In $29 Million Deal

After being left off Mauricio Pochettino's 23-man roster for the September international window, United States men's national team midfielder Yunus Musah has secured a season-long loan from AC Milan to Atalanta BC, according to multiple reports.The deal is worth approximately $29 million between the loan fee and Atalanta's option to buy, according to soccer journalist Fabrizio Romano. Milan acquired Musah from Valencia in 2023 for a transfer fee of $21 million. Before Valencia, Musah played for Arsenal's academy team.Musah, 22, appearaed in 40 matches for Milan last season and recorded three assists. All three of Musah's assists came while playing in the central midfield. Musah also played as a right midfielder last season.Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri gave Musah the start in Milan's season-opener against Lecce, and he went the full 90 in a 2-0 win. His United States men's national […]

trending_flat
USA Midfielder Yunus Musah Reportedly Loaned Out to Atalanta In $29 Million Deal

After being left off Mauricio Pochettino's 23-man roster for the September international window, United States men's national team midfielder Yunus Musah has secured a season-long loan from AC Milan to Atalanta BC, according to multiple reports.The deal is worth approximately $29 million between the loan fee and Atalanta's option to buy, according to soccer journalist Fabrizio Romano. Milan acquired Musah from Valencia in 2023 for a transfer fee of $21 million. Before Valencia, Musah played for Arsenal's academy team.Musah, 22, appearaed in 40 matches for Milan last season and recorded three assists. All three of Musah's assists came while playing in the central midfield. Musah also played as a right midfielder last season.Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri gave Musah the start in Milan's season-opener against Lecce, and he went the full 90 in a 2-0 win. His United States men's national […]

trending_flat
‘A complete surprise’ – Hamilton reflects on ‘painful’ Dutch GP crash

Lewis Hamilton admitted he was taken by "complete surprise" as an uncharacteristic crash saw him make a "painful" early exit from the Dutch Grand Prix.Hamilton had been running in seventh during the early stages of the race before Ferrari brought him in for a pit stop in an attempt to undercut the Mercedes of George Russell. With Hamilton pushing to make the undercut stick as light rain fell, the seven-time world champion got off line through the banked Hugenholtzbocht hairpin, lost control and hit the barrier.Reflecting on the incident, Hamilton said: "I didn't really want the undercut necessarily, at that time."I was just saying that we would have to probably try and undercut them at some point. Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player Highlights of the Dutch Grand Prix from Zandvoort "But it was more I […]

trending_flat
Cowboys Extend Cornerback Daron Bland After Trading Micah Parsons

Just days after trading the cornerstone of their defense, the Dallas Cowboys extended one of their key playmakers in the secondary.According to FOX Sports' Jay Glazer, the Cowboys have agreed to a four-year extension with cornerback Daron Bland. Reports indicate the deal is worth $92 million.Last week, the Cowboys traded Micah Parsons to the Green Bay Packers for two first-round picks and defensive tackle Kenny Clark. Parsons wanted a new contract, and no progress was made on that during training camp, ultimately leading to the deal. Daron Bland broke out in 2023, when he led the NFL in interceptions and scored five touchdowns. (Richard Rodriguez/Getty Images) <!--> -->Parsons will make an estimated $47 million per year with the Packers, making him the highest-paid player who is not a quarterback in the NFL. The Cowboys already have the highest-paid quarterback (Dak […]

Be the first to leave a comment

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sportivo bridges the gap between talent and opportunity.

About SPORTIVO

Sportivo Network is a dedicated social platform for sports enthusiasts, athletes, and scouts. Whether you’re an aspiring athlete looking for opportunities, a coach searching for talent, or simply a sports lover wanting to connect with like-minded people, Sportivo is your go-to network. With features like direct messaging, profile showcasing, and talent scouting, Sportivo bridges the gap between talent and opportunity. Here, you can share your achievements, interact with professionals, and open doors to the next level in your sports journey. Join Sportivo Network – because every great athlete deserves to be discovered!
Copyright © 2025 SPORTIVO News. and SPORTIVO Network. All rights reserved.

Login to enjoy full advantages

Please login or subscribe to continue.

Go Premium!

Enjoy the full advantage of the premium access.

Stop following

Unfollow Cancel

Cancel subscription

Are you sure you want to cancel your subscription? You will lose your Premium access and stored playlists.

Go back Confirm cancellation