‘Things to review’ – McLaren looking further into ‘very harsh’ Piastri penalty

SPORTIVO
Article arrow_drop_down

McLaren say they will conduct further assessments of Oscar Piastri’s disputed penalty in the British Grand Prix, from both the stewards’ perspective and their own, having maintained the sanction was “very harsh”.

Piastri’s bid for victory at Silverstone a was scuppered by a 10-second penalty issued by race stewards for “erratic driving” in front of Max Verstappen as the championship leader “braked heavily” down the Hangar Straight after the Safety Car had signalled it was about to pull in to the pits for the race to resume.

Neither Piastri nor McLaren agreed with the decision, although there was solace for the team in that they still won the race with Lando Norris and finished one-two to further extend their big world title leads at their home event.

Still, team principal Andrea Stella felt there had been further considerations to address in the incident.

“I was actually taking another look at the data and the video before coming here,” Stella told reporters after Sunday’s race

“I have to say that the penalty still looks very harsh.

“There are a few factors that we would’ve liked the stewards to take into account.

“First of all, the Safety Car was called in very late, not leaving much time for the leader to actually restart in conditions in which you lose tyre temperature, you lose brake temperature, and the same goes for everyone.

“The 50 bar [brake pressure], it’s a pressure that you see during the Safety Car run, when you do some braking and acceleration.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Take a look at why Piastri was given a 10-second penalty at the British Grand Prix

He added that they also wanted to look at whether “other competitors” – which in this case would have been Red Bull rival Verstappen – “made the situation look worse than what it is” in the incident.

However, the stewards’ verdict said that Verstappen had been forced to take “evasive action to avoid a collision”, briefly overtaking Piastri, as the Australian had “suddenly braked hard (59.2 psi of brake pressure) and reduced speed in the middle of the straight… from 218kph to 52kph”.

Stella said: “We’ll have to see also if other competitors kind of made the situation look worse than what it is, because we know that as part of the race craft of some competitors, definitely there’s also the ability to make others look like they are causing severe infringement when they are not.

“So a few things to review. A few things to review. But in itself, now the penalty has been decided, has been served, and we move on.”

Ultimately accepting the ruling, he added: “We will see if there’s anything to learn on our side, and I’m sure Oscar will use this motivation for being even more determined for the races to come, and try and win as many races as possible in the future.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Piastri felt aggrieved at receiving a penalty for braking behind the safety car

McLaren had wanted investigation to take place after the race

Having been in communication with Race Control after Piastri’s penalty was served, Stella said McLaren had actually wanted the stewards to investigate the incident after the race when they would have been able to speak to the drivers involved before issuing a judgement.

He accepted the stewards had a difficult job to do and said McLaren would keep an open dialogue with them about what happened.

“There’s a lot to consider,” said Stella.

“The fact that today we had a situation which we judged as a team as being a harsh penalty for one of our drivers, doesn’t change our opinion that the FIA and the stewards, they do a difficult job, they try their best. I think they do their best also to try and be consistent. There are many different scenarios, normally scenarios they change for some subtleties. It’s no different, I think, operating as a steward or the FIA from operating as a team.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Highlights from a chaotic British Grand Prix at Silverstone

“It’s always difficult to make the right calls. So what’s important is that we keep the dialogue going, I think we will have a good conversation with the FIA and with the stewards, and we will see how this situation could have been interpreted differently.

“What we said during the race was that we thought it was appropriate to discuss after the race, because I think we should have checked in detail the opinion of the drivers involved, and we should have checked why the safety car was called in so late, and then put together all the evidence such that the decision would be as fair as possible.”

F1 takes a brief break before the season resumes at the Belgian Grand Prix as the Sprint format returns, live on Sky Sports F1 on July 25-27. Stream Sky Sports with NOW – no contract, cancel anytime.

This news was originally published on this post .

About the author

About the author call_made

SPORTIVO

More posts

Four players locked for lead in a tight battle in 12th Leg of Hero WPGT

View Comments Hosur, Tamil Nadu: Amandeep Drall roared back into form with a solid card of 4-under 68 to take a share of the four-way lead after two rounds in the 12th Leg of the Hero Women’s Pro Golf Tour at Clover Greens. Amandeep (75-68) now shares the lead with Khushi Khanijau (75-68), Ananya Garg (72-71) and the first round leader amateur Mannat Brar (70-73). Sneha (76-68), who was one of the four players to shoot the day’s best card was fifth, one place ahead of Ridhima Dilawari, who also put herself in contention with a 68 that included an eagle-two, after a first round 77. Ridhima was Tied-sixth with Karishma Govind (74-71) at 145. Amandeep, who had struggled to 75 on the first day, opened with a birdie on the first and added a second birdie on the eighth. […]

Kolar Open 2025: Shaurya Bhattacharya builds three-shot lead with a super 66 in Rd 3

View Comments Kolar, Karnataka: Delhi’s Shaurya Bhattacharya delivered a tournament low score of six-under 66 to build a three-shot lead at a total of eight-under 208 in round three of the INR 1 crore Kolar Open 2025 Powered by ZION Hills being played at the ZION Hills Golf County located near Kolar in Karnataka. Shaurya (70-72-66), a two-time winner on the PGTI and a winner earlier this year, moved up four spots from his overnight fifth place as a result of his 66. However, Shaurya’s 66 was not counted as the course record as the rule of preferred lie was in application during the third round. Pune’s Udayan Mane (73-67-71), who ended up as the round two leader following his course record score of 67 on Wednesday, came up with a 71 on Thursday to drop down to second place […]

Bílek poprvé nominoval. Šín je zatím součástí jednadvacítky

Předchozí jednadvacítka pod vedením Jana Suchopárka zakončila svůj cyklus vypadnutím ve skupině na červnovém Euru na Slovensku. Z Bílkovy nominaci turnaj zažili gólman Olomouce Jan Koutný, stoper Jan Paluska a záložník Slavie Ondřej Kričfaluši nebo univerzál z Karviné Albert Labík, kteří by měli patřit k lídrům výběru.„Je tam mnoho kluků, kteří pravidelně hrají ligu a mají ve svých týmech silnou pozici, což nám dělá radost,“ shrnul Bílek.Lvíčata zahájí kvalifikaci 5. září v Uherském Hradišti proti Skotsku, následně odcestuje na Gibraltar, kde nastoupí v úterý 9. září. Ve skupině jsou dále fotbalisté Portugalska, Bulharska a Ázerbájdžánu. Přímo na šampionát postupuje vítěz a nejlepší celek z druhých míst. Ostatní celky z druhých příček čeká baráž.Připravujeme podrobnosti.

14 Indian junior boxers march into finals at Belt and Road Youth Boxing Gala in China

View Comments Xinjiang: Fourteen Indian junior boxers stormed into their respective finals at the 3rd “Belt and Road” International Youth Boxing Gala – U17/U19/U23 International Training Camp & Tournament in Xinjiang, China, continuing a trend of fine performances in continental age-group competitions. Taking on strong opponents from Kazakhstan, Iran, Korea, Uzbekistan, the Philippines, and China, 10 girls and 4 boys delivered impressive performances, assuring India of multiple silver medals and a strong shot at gold. India has sent a 58-member contingent comprising 20 boys and 20 girls, supported by 12 coaches, 5 support staff, and 1 Referee & Judge. Only U-17 boys and girls are representing India at this edition. The team was selected from the 6th U-17 Junior Boys & Girls National Boxing Championships 2025, with medalists across Asian Youth Games and Non-Asian Youth Games weight categories earning a […]

Kozák se po konci kariéry vrací do Sparty, bude asistentem trenéra rezervy

Šestatřicetiletý Kozák ukončil na jaře kariéru v dresu mateřské Opavy, kam se vrátil loni v létě. Nejlepší část kariéry prožil v Laziu Řím, kam už v 19 letech odešel právě ze slezského klubu. S Laziem vyhrál dvakrát Italský pohár a v sezoně 2012/13 se stal nejlepším střelcem Evropské ligy.Za Spartu nastupoval Kozák v letech 2019 až 2021. V roce 2020 s ní ovládl domácí pohár a podělil se o korunu pro krále ligových střelců. Hrál také za Liberec, Slovácko, Zlín nebo Aston Villu. Právě v anglickém klubu utrpěl začátkem roku 2014 na tréninku vážné zranění nohy, kterou mu zlomil spoluhráč, a do dřívější formy už se nedostal. Na kontě má devět reprezentačních startů a dva góly.

New Delhi Tigers end DPL 2025 on a high with thrilling last-ball win against North Delhi Strikers

View Comments New Delhi: The New Delhi Tigers signed off their Delhi Premier League (DPL) 2025 campaign in style, pulling off a nail-biting 6-wicket win over the North Delhi Strikers after chasing down a daunting 200-run target on Thursday at the Arun Jaitley Stadium. The chase began with openers Shivam Gupta and Lakshay Thareja laying a solid platform, adding 46 runs for the first wicket. Shivam played a quickfire hand of 31 off 18 balls, but the night truly belonged to Thareja. The right-hander batted with maturity and flair, anchoring the chase with an unbeaten 80 off 48 deliveries, laced with crisp boundaries and timely big shots. With the Tigers needing 11 runs off the final over, Thareja and Deepak Punia could only muster two runs off the first three deliveries, pushing the equation to 9 needed from 3. Thareja […]

Related

Four players locked for lead in a tight battle in 12th Leg of Hero WPGT

View Comments Hosur, Tamil Nadu: Amandeep Drall roared back into form with a solid card of 4-under 68 to take a share of the four-way lead after two rounds in the 12th Leg of the Hero Women’s Pro Golf Tour at Clover Greens. Amandeep (75-68) now shares the lead with Khushi Khanijau (75-68), Ananya Garg (72-71) and the first round leader amateur Mannat Brar (70-73). Sneha (76-68), who was one of the four players to shoot the day’s best card was fifth, one place ahead of Ridhima Dilawari, who also put herself in contention with a 68 that included an eagle-two, after a first round 77. Ridhima was Tied-sixth with Karishma Govind (74-71) at 145. Amandeep, who had struggled to 75 on the first day, opened with a birdie on the first and added a second birdie on the eighth. […]

Kolar Open 2025: Shaurya Bhattacharya builds three-shot lead with a super 66 in Rd 3

View Comments Kolar, Karnataka: Delhi’s Shaurya Bhattacharya delivered a tournament low score of six-under 66 to build a three-shot lead at a total of eight-under 208 in round three of the INR 1 crore Kolar Open 2025 Powered by ZION Hills being played at the ZION Hills Golf County located near Kolar in Karnataka. Shaurya (70-72-66), a two-time winner on the PGTI and a winner earlier this year, moved up four spots from his overnight fifth place as a result of his 66. However, Shaurya’s 66 was not counted as the course record as the rule of preferred lie was in application during the third round. Pune’s Udayan Mane (73-67-71), who ended up as the round two leader following his course record score of 67 on Wednesday, came up with a 71 on Thursday to drop down to second place […]

Bílek poprvé nominoval. Šín je zatím součástí jednadvacítky

Předchozí jednadvacítka pod vedením Jana Suchopárka zakončila svůj cyklus vypadnutím ve skupině na červnovém Euru na Slovensku. Z Bílkovy nominaci turnaj zažili gólman Olomouce Jan Koutný, stoper Jan Paluska a záložník Slavie Ondřej Kričfaluši nebo univerzál z Karviné Albert Labík, kteří by měli patřit k lídrům výběru.„Je tam mnoho kluků, kteří pravidelně hrají ligu a mají ve svých týmech silnou pozici, což nám dělá radost,“ shrnul Bílek.Lvíčata zahájí kvalifikaci 5. září v Uherském Hradišti proti Skotsku, následně odcestuje na Gibraltar, kde nastoupí v úterý 9. září. Ve skupině jsou dále fotbalisté Portugalska, Bulharska a Ázerbájdžánu. Přímo na šampionát postupuje vítěz a nejlepší celek z druhých míst. Ostatní celky z druhých příček čeká baráž.Připravujeme podrobnosti.

14 Indian junior boxers march into finals at Belt and Road Youth Boxing Gala in China

View Comments Xinjiang: Fourteen Indian junior boxers stormed into their respective finals at the 3rd “Belt and Road” International Youth Boxing Gala – U17/U19/U23 International Training Camp & Tournament in Xinjiang, China, continuing a trend of fine performances in continental age-group competitions. Taking on strong opponents from Kazakhstan, Iran, Korea, Uzbekistan, the Philippines, and China, 10 girls and 4 boys delivered impressive performances, assuring India of multiple silver medals and a strong shot at gold. India has sent a 58-member contingent comprising 20 boys and 20 girls, supported by 12 coaches, 5 support staff, and 1 Referee & Judge. Only U-17 boys and girls are representing India at this edition. The team was selected from the 6th U-17 Junior Boys & Girls National Boxing Championships 2025, with medalists across Asian Youth Games and Non-Asian Youth Games weight categories earning a […]

Kozák se po konci kariéry vrací do Sparty, bude asistentem trenéra rezervy

Šestatřicetiletý Kozák ukončil na jaře kariéru v dresu mateřské Opavy, kam se vrátil loni v létě. Nejlepší část kariéry prožil v Laziu Řím, kam už v 19 letech odešel právě ze slezského klubu. S Laziem vyhrál dvakrát Italský pohár a v sezoně 2012/13 se stal nejlepším střelcem Evropské ligy.Za Spartu nastupoval Kozák v letech 2019 až 2021. V roce 2020 s ní ovládl domácí pohár a podělil se o korunu pro krále ligových střelců. Hrál také za Liberec, Slovácko, Zlín nebo Aston Villu. Právě v anglickém klubu utrpěl začátkem roku 2014 na tréninku vážné zranění nohy, kterou mu zlomil spoluhráč, a do dřívější formy už se nedostal. Na kontě má devět reprezentačních startů a dva góly.

New Delhi Tigers end DPL 2025 on a high with thrilling last-ball win against North Delhi Strikers

View Comments New Delhi: The New Delhi Tigers signed off their Delhi Premier League (DPL) 2025 campaign in style, pulling off a nail-biting 6-wicket win over the North Delhi Strikers after chasing down a daunting 200-run target on Thursday at the Arun Jaitley Stadium. The chase began with openers Shivam Gupta and Lakshay Thareja laying a solid platform, adding 46 runs for the first wicket. Shivam played a quickfire hand of 31 off 18 balls, but the night truly belonged to Thareja. The right-hander batted with maturity and flair, anchoring the chase with an unbeaten 80 off 48 deliveries, laced with crisp boundaries and timely big shots. With the Tigers needing 11 runs off the final over, Thareja and Deepak Punia could only muster two runs off the first three deliveries, pushing the equation to 9 needed from 3. Thareja […]

Be the first to leave a comment

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sportivo bridges the gap between talent and opportunity.

About SPORTIVO

Sportivo Network is a dedicated social platform for sports enthusiasts, athletes, and scouts. Whether you’re an aspiring athlete looking for opportunities, a coach searching for talent, or simply a sports lover wanting to connect with like-minded people, Sportivo is your go-to network. With features like direct messaging, profile showcasing, and talent scouting, Sportivo bridges the gap between talent and opportunity. Here, you can share your achievements, interact with professionals, and open doors to the next level in your sports journey. Join Sportivo Network – because every great athlete deserves to be discovered!
Copyright © 2025 SPORTIVO News. and SPORTIVO Network. All rights reserved.

Login to enjoy full advantages

Please login or subscribe to continue.

Go Premium!

Enjoy the full advantage of the premium access.

Stop following

Unfollow Cancel

Cancel subscription

Are you sure you want to cancel your subscription? You will lose your Premium access and stored playlists.

Go back Confirm cancellation