No. 12 Illinois attempts to put winning on repeat in 2025

SPORTIVO
Article arrow_drop_down
NCAA Football: Citrus Bowl-South Carolina at IllinoisDec 31, 2024; Orlando, FL, USA; Illinois Fighting Illini quarterback Luke Altmyer (9) throws the ball against the South Carolina Gamecocks in the third quarter at Camping World Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jeremy Reper-Imagn Images

No. 12 Illinois has claimed a spot in the preseason Top 25 poll for the first time since 2008.

That’s a long time ago, but it pales in comparison to the last time Illinois pulled off back-to-back excellent seasons. That hasn’t happened since John Mackovic was in charge, when the Jeff George-led 1989 team posted a 10-2 record and the following year’s squad finished 8-4.

This year’s Illini welcome back 16 starters from a 10-3 team that wound up 20th in the final College Football Playoff ranking. Hopes are high for a season that eclipses 8-4 and, indeed, lands Illinois its first CFP invitation.

The journey begins Friday night when Western Illinois, an FCS school picked to finish in the middle of the Big South/OVC pack, visits Champaign.

Illinois’ offense boasts almost everybody from last year’s group with the notable exception of top receivers Patrick Bryant, the Denver Broncos’ third-round pick, and Zakhari Franklin.

Third-year starting quarterback Luke Altmyer straightened out his senior-year NIL deal in December, then ignored SEC overtures that reportedly would have doubled his money.

“Luke has continued to be very impressive at quarterback,” said Illinois coach Bret Bielema. “The wide receiver room, probably the one we’re most interested in, Collin Dixon and Hank Beatty just continue to show up every day. Very impressive dudes.”

If there’s an Opening Night concern for Illinois, it’s on the offensive line. The Illini retain all five starters, but third-team all-Big Ten left tackle J.C. Davis — the best of the bunch — has been taking it easy to calm down a case of plantar fasciitis. Right tackle Melvin Priestly, meanwhile, missed a few days with a sprained ankle.

“Really not overly concerned, especially with a guy like J.C.,” Bielema said. “Sometimes these moments are actually a blessing in disguise.”

Western Illinois struggled with its Big Ten buy game last September – Indiana hammered the Leathernecks 77-3 – but second-year coach Joe Davis’ squad has made big strides since. The Leathernecks finished 4-8 last year while leading their nine-team league in total offense (427.5 yards per game) and ranking second in scoring (31.0 ppg).

Western Illinois was acclaimed for bringing in the best recruiting class in the Big South/OVC, which helped lead to a fifth-place nod in the preseason poll. It won’t take long for the Leathernecks to know where they stand. After facing Illinois in their opener, they visit Northwestern the following Friday night.

“I can promise you this,” Davis said. “This team won’t blink and we’ll be ready to go. We have the talent to be very competitive in those games.”

Senior quarterback Chris Irvin takes over for the graduated Nate Lamb, who threw for 3,332 yards and 21 touchdowns. Irvin completed 17 of 29 passes last year for 174 yards and three scores.

Illinois visits Duke on Sept. 6. The Illini open the Big Ten slate on Sept. 20 at Indiana.

–Field Level Media

ad banner

This news was originally published on this post .

About the author

About the author call_made

SPORTIVO

More posts

trending_flat
Chicago Cubs Agree to 1-Year Contract With First Baseman Carlos Santana

The Chicago Cubs added Carlos Santana on Sunday, agreeing to a one-year contract with the veteran first baseman that puts him in the mix for the playoffs, a person familiar with the deal told The Associated Press.The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because the move had not been announced by the team.The Cubs also claimed right-hander Aaron Civale off waivers from the White Sox before their series finale at Colorado. Right-hander Porter Hodge was recalled from Triple-A Iowa, and left-hander Jordan Wicks was sent down. Tom Cosgrove, another lefty, was designated for assignment.The timing of the moves makes Santana and Civale eligible for Chicago’s postseason roster because they were part of the organization before the MLB deadline at 11:59 p.m. ET on Sunday. Active major league rosters expanded from 26 to 28 players on Monday, so […]

trending_flat
Phillies add veteran pitcher Walker Buehler, will be playoff eligible for NL East-leading team

Getty Images With Zack Wheeler set to miss the rest of 2025, the Philadelphia Phillies are giving Walker Buehler a look in September. The Phillies signed Buehler on Sunday, the team announced, so he will be eligible for their postseason roster. The postseason roster eligibility deadline is 11:59 p.m. ET Sunday night. Buehler was officially signed on a minor-league deal and will initially report to Triple-A.Buehler, 31, pitched to a 5.45 ERA with poor under-the-hood numbers (5.88 FIP and 5.69 xERA) in 112 ⅓ innings across 22 starts and one relief appearance with the Boston Red Sox. They released him earlier this week and are responsible for the remainder of his $21.05 million salary less the prorated portion of the league minimum, which the Phillies must cover. Even without Wheeler, the Phillies have five starting pitchers. This was their rotation […]

trending_flat
Fantasy football rankings 2025: Top breakouts from model that nailed Jayden Daniels’ big season

Jayden Higgins wasn't one of the four wide receivers selected in the first round of the 2025 NFL Draft, but given his landing spot and his team's offensive situation, he could have the potential to emerge as the top rookie wideout in the 2025 Fantasy football season. The Texans traded up to select Higgins with the second pick in the second round of the 2025 NFL Draft, and the rookie from Iowa State could become the No. 2 pass-catcher in Houston behind Nico Collins. Houston will be without Tank Dell for the start of the season following his knee injury, leaving plenty of targets from C.J. Stroud available for the preseason favorites to win the AFC South.Stroud passed for more than 4,000 yards as a rookie before a not-as-effective sophomore season with 3,727 yards despite playing two more games than […]

trending_flat
Taylor Ward injury: Angels’ Jo Adell calls out Astros stadium after teammate bloodied in crash into OF wall

Getty Images The Angels shut out the Astros (LAA 3, HOU 0) Sunday afternoon at Daikin Park in Houston, but also lost 30-homer man Taylor Ward to a facial injury when he ran into the scoreboard on the left field wall. Ward was bloodied and had to be carted off the field with towels held to his face. Manager Ray Montgomery confirmed Ward needed stitches above his eye and he will undergo further evaluation.Here's the play. Ward was able to walk over to the bullpen, where teammates quickly put a towel to his face:The frame around the numbers on the scoreboard are metal, rather than the padding that covers most of the outfield wall. Following the game, Angels outfielder Jo Adell said the team was shaken by Ward's injury. Adell did not hold back, saying there should not be metal anywhere […]

trending_flat
Mets manager noncommittal on Kodai Senga’s next start after latest bad outing: ‘We’ve got to get him right’

Getty Images Following another rough start Sunday, New York Mets manager Carlos Mendoza would not commit to right-hander Kodai Senga making his next start. Senga allowed five runs in 4 ⅔ innings in loss to the Miami Marlins on Sunday (MIA 5, NYM 1) and has a 5.89 ERA in nine starts since returning from a hamstring injury on July 11."We've got to get him right. I'm pretty sure we're going to have some discussion, what's next for him. Our job is to get him right," Mendoza said. "It's been a struggle. It's been a struggle, and again, we'll see what's next for him."The Mets called up top pitching prospects Nolan McLean and Jonah Tong in recent weeks and used six starters this last turn through the rotation. The depth chart looks like this at the moment: LHP David PetersonRHP […]

Related

trending_flat
Chicago Cubs Agree to 1-Year Contract With First Baseman Carlos Santana

The Chicago Cubs added Carlos Santana on Sunday, agreeing to a one-year contract with the veteran first baseman that puts him in the mix for the playoffs, a person familiar with the deal told The Associated Press.The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because the move had not been announced by the team.The Cubs also claimed right-hander Aaron Civale off waivers from the White Sox before their series finale at Colorado. Right-hander Porter Hodge was recalled from Triple-A Iowa, and left-hander Jordan Wicks was sent down. Tom Cosgrove, another lefty, was designated for assignment.The timing of the moves makes Santana and Civale eligible for Chicago’s postseason roster because they were part of the organization before the MLB deadline at 11:59 p.m. ET on Sunday. Active major league rosters expanded from 26 to 28 players on Monday, so […]

trending_flat
Phillies add veteran pitcher Walker Buehler, will be playoff eligible for NL East-leading team

Getty Images With Zack Wheeler set to miss the rest of 2025, the Philadelphia Phillies are giving Walker Buehler a look in September. The Phillies signed Buehler on Sunday, the team announced, so he will be eligible for their postseason roster. The postseason roster eligibility deadline is 11:59 p.m. ET Sunday night. Buehler was officially signed on a minor-league deal and will initially report to Triple-A.Buehler, 31, pitched to a 5.45 ERA with poor under-the-hood numbers (5.88 FIP and 5.69 xERA) in 112 ⅓ innings across 22 starts and one relief appearance with the Boston Red Sox. They released him earlier this week and are responsible for the remainder of his $21.05 million salary less the prorated portion of the league minimum, which the Phillies must cover. Even without Wheeler, the Phillies have five starting pitchers. This was their rotation […]

trending_flat
Fantasy football rankings 2025: Top breakouts from model that nailed Jayden Daniels’ big season

Jayden Higgins wasn't one of the four wide receivers selected in the first round of the 2025 NFL Draft, but given his landing spot and his team's offensive situation, he could have the potential to emerge as the top rookie wideout in the 2025 Fantasy football season. The Texans traded up to select Higgins with the second pick in the second round of the 2025 NFL Draft, and the rookie from Iowa State could become the No. 2 pass-catcher in Houston behind Nico Collins. Houston will be without Tank Dell for the start of the season following his knee injury, leaving plenty of targets from C.J. Stroud available for the preseason favorites to win the AFC South.Stroud passed for more than 4,000 yards as a rookie before a not-as-effective sophomore season with 3,727 yards despite playing two more games than […]

trending_flat
Taylor Ward injury: Angels’ Jo Adell calls out Astros stadium after teammate bloodied in crash into OF wall

Getty Images The Angels shut out the Astros (LAA 3, HOU 0) Sunday afternoon at Daikin Park in Houston, but also lost 30-homer man Taylor Ward to a facial injury when he ran into the scoreboard on the left field wall. Ward was bloodied and had to be carted off the field with towels held to his face. Manager Ray Montgomery confirmed Ward needed stitches above his eye and he will undergo further evaluation.Here's the play. Ward was able to walk over to the bullpen, where teammates quickly put a towel to his face:The frame around the numbers on the scoreboard are metal, rather than the padding that covers most of the outfield wall. Following the game, Angels outfielder Jo Adell said the team was shaken by Ward's injury. Adell did not hold back, saying there should not be metal anywhere […]

trending_flat
Mets manager noncommittal on Kodai Senga’s next start after latest bad outing: ‘We’ve got to get him right’

Getty Images Following another rough start Sunday, New York Mets manager Carlos Mendoza would not commit to right-hander Kodai Senga making his next start. Senga allowed five runs in 4 ⅔ innings in loss to the Miami Marlins on Sunday (MIA 5, NYM 1) and has a 5.89 ERA in nine starts since returning from a hamstring injury on July 11."We've got to get him right. I'm pretty sure we're going to have some discussion, what's next for him. Our job is to get him right," Mendoza said. "It's been a struggle. It's been a struggle, and again, we'll see what's next for him."The Mets called up top pitching prospects Nolan McLean and Jonah Tong in recent weeks and used six starters this last turn through the rotation. The depth chart looks like this at the moment: LHP David PetersonRHP […]

Be the first to leave a comment

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sportivo bridges the gap between talent and opportunity.

About SPORTIVO

Sportivo Network is a dedicated social platform for sports enthusiasts, athletes, and scouts. Whether you’re an aspiring athlete looking for opportunities, a coach searching for talent, or simply a sports lover wanting to connect with like-minded people, Sportivo is your go-to network. With features like direct messaging, profile showcasing, and talent scouting, Sportivo bridges the gap between talent and opportunity. Here, you can share your achievements, interact with professionals, and open doors to the next level in your sports journey. Join Sportivo Network – because every great athlete deserves to be discovered!
Copyright © 2025 SPORTIVO News. and SPORTIVO Network. All rights reserved.

Login to enjoy full advantages

Please login or subscribe to continue.

Go Premium!

Enjoy the full advantage of the premium access.

Stop following

Unfollow Cancel

Cancel subscription

Are you sure you want to cancel your subscription? You will lose your Premium access and stored playlists.

Go back Confirm cancellation